Saturday, April 08, 2006

Rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb

DD has conceived a passion for rhubarb. She craves rhubarb. So I grabbed the last few sticks of rhubarb from the supermarket and made rhubarb and orange crumble for tea last night, served with vanilla ice cream. Utter bliss.

I saw a list this week of the 20 most disliked British foods, and rhubarb made it onto the list (along with black pudding, Marmite, jellied eels, tripe, faggots, and Haggis). All I can say is, the people who voted for rhubarb must not have had it cooked properly for them. (Although I must admit I like my rhubarb sweet - I'm not so keen on the Dutch 'rhubarb as a vegetable with oily fish' thing.)

Now that the greenhouse is finally up, we've got a corner of the vegetable patch earmarked for growing our own rhubarb. We're keeping our fingers crossed for a fine crop :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home